An image, a thousand words, and a million interpretations.
1. In this official White House photograph, President Barack Obama greets a young guest during a reception celebrating African American history month in the east room of the White House, on Feb. 18, 2016.
2. In Flint, Michigan, siblings Julie, Antonio, and India Abram collect their daily allowance of bottled water from Fire Station #3, their local water resource site.
3. Contemporary Issues, second prize winner, singles. “The Forgotten Mountains of Sudan.” Adam Abdel, 7, was severely burned after a bomb was dropped by a Sudanese government Antonov plane next to his family home in Burgu, Central Darfur, Sudan, on February 27, 2015
4. Community members search for spilled grain on the site of a World Food Program airdrop in Ganyiel, South Sudan, on March 10, 2016. Ganyiel is a small community that has become a safe haven and a center for relief distribution for over 90,000 people in the conflict-torn nation of South Sudan. (Matt Black—Magnum Photos)
5. Jose Villarroel waits for hours in an emergency operating room at Luis Razetti Hospital in Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela, on April 15, 2016. The economic crisis in this country has exploded into a public health emergency; part of a larger unraveling that has become so widespread it has prompted President Nicolas Maduro to impose a state of emergency, raising fears of a government collapse.
6. Outgoing British Prime Minister David Cameron speaks beside his daughters (L-R) Nancy Gwen, Florence Rose Endellion, his wife Samantha Cameron and son Arthur Elwen outside 10 Downing Street in central London before going to Buckingham Palace to tender his resignation to Queen Elizabeth II, on July 13, 2016. Cameron urged his successor Theresa May to maintain close ties with the EU even while negotiating to leave it.
7. Gay pride parade in Madrid (2 July)
Daniel Ochoa de Olza/AP
8. A girl running in the IDP’s Al Kadasie apartment complex in Tikrit, Iraq, on July 20, 2016 (Paolo Pellegrin)
11. Migrants wait to be rescued by members of Proactiva Open Arms NGO in the Mediterranean Sea, some 12 nautical miles north of Libya, on October 4, 2016. At least 1,800 migrants were rescued off the Libyan coast, the Italian coastguard announced, adding that similar operations were underway around 15 other overloaded vessels.
12. Staff listens as President Barack Obama speaks about the election results in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, on Nov. 9, 2016.
13. President Obama meets president-elect Donald Trump in the Oval Office (10 November)
14. “The Man and the Eagle” and captured by 36-year-old Siyuan Niu of Xinjiang, China
15. Japan, Takeshi Marumot
16. A Syrian family in a refugee camp in the Beqaa Valley stands beside a chair representing a missing family member. According to UNHCR, by the end of the year, more than 370,000 Syrian refugees were living in camps in the Beqaa Valley, close to the Syrian border. (Dario-mitidieri, December)