An image, a thousand words, and a million interpretations.
1. In this official White House photograph, President Barack Obama greets a young guest during a reception celebrating African American history month in the east room of the White House, on Feb. 18, 2016.
2. In Flint, Michigan, siblings Julie, Antonio, and India Abram collect their daily allowance of bottled water from Fire Station #3, their local water resource site.
This photo was originally published in “Intimate Portraits of Flint Show Frustration, Fear, Perseverance,” in February 2016.
3. Contemporary Issues, second prize winner, singles. “The Forgotten Mountains of Sudan.” Adam Abdel, 7, was severely burned after a bomb was dropped by a Sudanese government Antonov plane next to his family home in Burgu, Central Darfur, Sudan, on February 27, 2015
5. Jose Villarroel waits for hours in an emergency operating room at Luis Razetti Hospital in Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela, on April 15, 2016. The economic crisis in this country has exploded into a public health emergency; part of a larger unraveling that has become so widespread it has prompted President Nicolas Maduro to impose a state of emergency, raising fears of a government collapse.
6. Outgoing British Prime Minister David Cameron speaks beside his daughters (L-R) Nancy Gwen, Florence Rose Endellion, his wife Samantha Cameron and son Arthur Elwen outside 10 Downing Street in central London before going to Buckingham Palace to tender his resignation to Queen Elizabeth II, on July 13, 2016. Cameron urged his successor Theresa May to maintain close ties with the EU even while negotiating to leave it.
7. Gay pride parade in Madrid (2 July)
Daniel Ochoa de Olza/AP
9. Trump holds baby cousins in Colorado (29 July)
10. A refugee family lives amid the rubble in Ramadi, an Iraqi city leveled by ISIS’s destruction and bloodshed.
This photo was originally published in “Surviving the Fall of Isis,” in October 2016.
11. Migrants wait to be rescued by members of Proactiva Open Arms NGO in the Mediterranean Sea, some 12 nautical miles north of Libya, on October 4, 2016. At least 1,800 migrants were rescued off the Libyan coast, the Italian coastguard announced, adding that similar operations were underway around 15 other overloaded vessels.
12. Staff listens as President Barack Obama speaks about the election results in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, on Nov. 9, 2016.
13. President Obama meets president-elect Donald Trump in the Oval Office (10 November)
14. “The Man and the Eagle” and captured by 36-year-old Siyuan Niu of Xinjiang, China
15. Japan, Takeshi Marumot
16. A Syrian family in a refugee camp in the Beqaa Valley stands beside a chair representing a missing family member. According to UNHCR, by the end of the year, more than 370,000 Syrian refugees were living in camps in the Beqaa Valley, close to the Syrian border. (Dario-mitidieri, December)